ASSOCIATED PRESS (AP) — Thousands of people took to the streets of Hong Kong yesterday in a march seen as a test of the enduring appeal of an anti-government movement about to mark a half year of demonstrations.
Chanting “Fight for freedom” and “Stand with Hong Kong,” a sea of protesters formed a huge human snake winding through the Causeway Bay shopping district. The protest ground to a standstill at times, with thousands of marchers crammed into the narrow streets, their cries of “Revolution in our times” echoing off the high-rise towers.
Many held up five fingers to press their five demands, which include democratic elections for Hong Kong’s leader and legislature.
“One of our problems is that the government is not chosen by us, so they do not have to respond to our demands,” said Kelly Ma, adding that demonstrating has become a regular part of her life.
“We still have to fight for it,” her sister Priscilla Ma said. “We must not give up. We really need them to know what we are thinking.”
The huge turnout was reminiscent of marches in the first two months of the movement that drew hundreds of thousands of people, and upward of a million by organiser estimates. Police banned the mass marches as the protests turned increasingly violent, but relented and allowed yesterday’s march after a few weeks of relative peace.
Police in riot gear deployed in numbers on the edges of the march. Earlier in the day, they arrested 11 people and seized a cache of weapons, including a firearm with more than 100 bullets. Police said that the arrested apparently planned to use the weapons during the protest to frame police, who have been accused of using excessive force against the protesters.
Rally organiser Eric Lai called on the police to exercise self-restraint and not fire tear gas.
Authorities, who have used tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets at previous demonstrations, said the force has been necessary to disperse protesters blocking streets, vandalizing shops and throwing homemade gasoline bombs at them.
The rally was called by the Civil Human Rights Front, a group that has organised some of the biggest demonstrations since hundreds of thousands of protesters first marched on June 9 against now-withdrawn government proposals that would have allowed criminal suspects to be sent for trial in Communist Party-controlled courts in mainland China.