COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) – A former Sri Lankan defence chief who is a front-runner in next month’s presidential election said he’ll order a fresh probe into the Sunday blasts that killed 263 people by appointing a presidential commission if he wins.
Gotabaya Rajapaksa has said the commission would be set up on a request made by Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, a top leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Sri Lanka. Ranjith has previously called for an independent and transparent commission to investi-gate the attack, which was blamed on extremists.
Rajapaksa, a powerful defence official in the government of his brother, former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, is a favourite to win the November 16 election, in which national security has become the focal point.
While addressing an election rally on Saturday, Rajapaksa also pledged to bolster national security by improving intelligence services and also to provide legal cover to the intelligence officers, according to a statement released from his media office yesterday.Rajapaksa is a hero to many Sri Lankans – especially ethnic majority Sinhalese – for his crucial role in ending the prolonged civil war in this Indian ocean island nation a decade ago. His popularity is on the increase after the attacks that killed 263 people and wounded 500 others.
President Maithripala Sirisena has said he was kept in the dark on intelligence about the planned attacks and vowed to “take stern action” against officials who failed to share it.