BANGKOK (Bernama) – Four provinces in northeastern Thailand are still under water, leaving 24,235 residents in evacuation shelters, after heavy rain lashed the provinces two weeks ago.
Thailand’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Director-General Chayaphol Thitisak said the flood waters and mudslides had submerged houses, roads and bridges in Roi Et, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani and Yasothon. “The relevant agencies were deployed to distribute food, drinking water and other necessary items to the flood victims.
“Personnel and equipment were also mobilised to clear the flood waters,” he said in a statement. Two tropical storms – Podul and Kajiki lashed the north and northeast provinces in Thailand, bringing heavy downpour that caused flash floods and mudslides in 32 provinces, killing 32 people and affecting 418,000 families, since August 29.
Ubon Ratchathani is one of the provinces badly hit by the floods. Local residents are expected to return home in four to five days as there is no rain reported in the affected areas.
On Thursday, government spokesperson, Professor Narumon Pinyosinwat said about 4,000 personnel from the Royal Thai Army, Navy and Air Force had been deployed to release flood waters from the flooded areas.
She said Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan o-cha also urged the authorities to come up with an evacuation plan that could accommodate all the flood victims at shelters.
“The agencies will inspect the flood-affected areas to determine the damage in order to provide immediate assistance to the victims,” she said.