Wallaby Betham shines as Clermont beat O’Gara’s La Rochelle

PARIS (AFP) – Australia international Peter Betham had a hand in all of Clermont’s tries last Sunday as last season’s Top 14 runners up began their campaign with a 28-10 victory over La Rochelle.

In a re-run of May’s European Challenge Cup final, won by Clermont, winger Betham scored twice and set-up flanker Judicael Cancoriet in searing conditions in the Auvergne as La Rochelle played the final quarter a man down as Sila Puafisi was shown a red card for a dangerous tackle.

The sides took water breaks after 20 minutes and on the hour mark due to the 33 degrees Celsius heat in former Ireland fly-half Ronan O’Gara’s first match in charge of La Rochelle’s backs.

“We were under pressure at 10-10 but we stayed patient and worked well together,” Clermont head coach Franck Azema said.

“For our first match, and despite the heat, we had good level of intensity and we alternated our play well,” Azema added.

His La Rochelle counterpart Jono Gibbes, who was in charge of Clermont’s forward between 2014-2017, said his outfit’s ill-discipline cost them dearly.

“We would have hoped to do better but being down a man for 30 minutes (in total) was enough to put Clermont in a comfortable place,” Gibbes said.

“We have some regrets but we will be more precise this week as we prepare to face Stade Francais,” he added.

The visitors were down to 14 men after less than five minutes with former New Zealand scrum-half Tawera Kerr-Barlow receiving a yellow card for intentionally knocking the ball down.

Clermont made the most of the extra player as they raced to a 10-0 lead by the 10-minute mark as Betham scored and fly-half Jake McIntyre, signed as Rugby World Cup cover for France’s Camille Lopez, added the conversion and a penalty.

La Rochelle’s responded after the first water break as centre Pierre Aguillon scored and former Clermont outside-half Brock James slotted the extras after 22 minutes.

James bought the sides level just before the break with a penalty.

McIntyre reclaimed a three-point advantage with a penalty and Betham scored his second try of the game after 57 minutes.