Gas leak explosion leaves two injured

James Kon

Two women suffered burn injuries following a gas leakage that caused an explosion in a house at Kampong Katok ‘A’ at wee hours of yesterday’s morning.

Both victims, who are locals, were rushed to the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital for treatments of injuries to hand, legs, body and head.

According to the Fire and Rescue Department (FRD), the distress call was received at 4.44am.

Three fire engines with 10 firefighters from Beribi Fire Station led by Acting Deputy Station Officer Jefferi bin Zainal rushed to the scene.

At the scene, it was found that there was a gas leakage from the liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in the kitchen, which caused an explosion, damaging the kitchen and living room as well as roofing.

The connecting gas hose of 14.1kg LPG that didn’t use any clamp. PHOTO: FRD

The initial investigation found that the explosion was caused by leakage from the connecting gas hose of 14.1kg LPG that didn’t use any clamp.

The estimated damages are at BND25,000.

In light of the incident, the FRD reminded the public that if there is a gas leakage, do not light fire or switch on electricity.

Members of the public are urged to use kitchen cooking components such as a hose and gas regulator that are approved by Brunei Shell Marketing and ensure that the hose is not faulty.

The FRD also reminded the public to open windows or doors to let out gas.

The gas hose must be replaced every two years while regulator should be changed every five years. The regulator must be switched off if unused.

For emergency, members of the public can contact 995.