Five Malaysian students suffer breathing difficulties in fire incident

JOHOR BAHRU (Bernama) – Five female students of Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Bandar Baru Uda were rushed to Hospital Sultanah Aminah yesterday after they suffered breathing difficulties during a fire which gutted the school’s cooperative room.

Johor Baru Fire and Rescue Department operations officer Lasidin Nariano said the students became short of breath after being exposed to the hot sun in the school’s assembly area where they had gathered to escape the fire. “Their breathing difficulty was not caused by smoke (from the fire). There was no one in the cooperative room during the incident,” he said in a statement.

Lasidin said on receiving an emergency call at 9.32am, the department sent 18 firemen in three fire engines from the Johor Baru station and an Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) vehicle to the scene.