Nevada death may be linked to California quake

LOS ANGELES (AP) – A powerful July 4 earthquake in the Southern California desert may have killed a man in neighbouring Nevada, authorities said on Tuesday.

It would be the first death linked to the magnitude 6.4 quake near Ridgecrest that was felt far and wide.

The Nye County Sheriff’s Department said deputies on Tuesday found a 56-year-old man pinned under a Jeep in Pahrump, about 150 miles from the quake’s epicentre. The man was last seen alive at a local gas station the day before the earthquake.

It is believed the man was working on the Jeep, which apparently fell off of its jacks when the quake hit, Sergeant Adam Tippets said.

The man’s name wasn’t immediately released.

No other deaths or serious injuries have been linked to the quake or to a magnitude 7.1 temblor that struck the same Mojave Desert area on Friday.

However, the quakes buckled highways, cracked buildings and ruptured gas lines that sparked several house fires.

A sprawling Navy base near Ridgecrest remained closed to non-essential personnel on Tuesday as the military worked to determine damage.

Teams had so far surveyed just 10 per cent of the 1,200 facilities at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, spokeswoman Margo Allen said. It was unclear when personnel and their families will be able to return.

National Guard members distribute free ice to residents in Trona, California on Tuesday. Charities and governmental agencies ramped up recovery efforts in the small town ravaged by earthquakes and aftershocks. – AP