Inquest into fireman’s death will be thorough  

ALOR SETAR (Bernama) – The inquest to determine the cause of death of firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim will be conducted thoroughly to avoid any loopholes which can be exploited by certain quarters.

Malaysian Housing and Local Government (KPKT) Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin said the inquest was not deliberately delayed as time was needed to ensure that the best is being done as this was a matter of public interest.

“We will ensure that the process is fair and thorough. Previously too Muhammad Adib was given the best treatment… we are thankful that his family agreed to have the post-mortem conducted and the reports have been completed.

“Usually the inquest will take a month but we may complete it in a much shorter time as the necessary information is already available,” she told reporters after visiting Muhammad Adib’s family in Kampong Tebengau, Kuala Kedah yesterday.

According to Zuraida, at the first inquest to be conducted at the Coroner’s Court on January 18, all witnesses including the doctors who treated him and pathologists who performed the autopsy would be summoned.

On December 28 last year Solicitor General III of Malaysia, Datuk Mohamad Hanafiah Zakaria, said the Attorney-General’s Chambers had filed papers for the inquest at the Registrar’s office in Shah Alam and case management of the inquest to determine Muhammad Adib’s cause of death had also been fixed on January 18.

Meanwhile, Muhammad Adib’s mother, Asma Aziz, 51, hoped that the inquest proceedings could be conducted and resolved quickly.

“I hope those responsible for his death, including the masterminds will be arrested soon,” she said.

Malaysian Minister of Housing and Local Government Zuraida Kamaruddin visits Muhammad Adib’s family at their residence in Kampong Tebengau, Kuala Kedah yesterday. – BERNAMA