Gas leak spurs evacuation at Syracuse hotel

SYRACUSE, NY (AP) — Officials say a downtown Syracuse hotel has been evacuated on New Year’s Day because of a carbon monoxide leak, and five people were taken to a hospital.

Emergency personnel responded to the Genesee (jen-ess-EE’) Grande Hotel around 8.30am last Tuesday. The hotel is not far from Syracuse University.

Syracuse Police Detective George Hack says the five people were taken to a hospital as a precaution.

It’s was not immediately clear how many people were at the hotel at the time of the evacuation.

Power company National Grid says crews traced the source of the leak to a faulty heating boiler. That’s according to spokeswoman Virginia Limmiatis. A call requesting comment was made to the hotel’s general manager.