China trade talks ‘went just fine’: US official

BEIJING (AFP) – United States (US) and Chinese officials extended trade war talks into a third day yesterday, with a member of the American delegation saying negotiations “went just fine”.

The US officials have been in Beijing since last Monday for the first sit-down talks since President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping agreed on December 1 last year to a three-month truce on a tit-for-tat trade spat.

Asian markets rose on increasing optimism that the two sides would be able to hammer out a deal ahead of a March deadline and avert further import tariff hikes.

A member of the US delegation, Under Secretary for Trade and Foreign Agricultural Affairs Ted McKinney, told reporters that the team would return to the United States and talks were “were wrapping up now”.

“I think they went just fine,” McKinney said as he left the hotel with his luggage, adding the trip “has been a good one for us”.

Trump boasted on Twitter last Tuesday that discussions in China were “going very well!”