NEW YORK (AP) – A malfunctioning space heater sparked a fire that filled a high-rise Bronx apartment building with thick smoke yesterday morning, killing 19 people including nine children in New York City’s deadliest blaze in three decades.
Trapped residents broke windows for air and stuffed wet towels under doors as smoke rose from a lower-floor apartment where the fire started. Survivors told of fleeing in panic down darkened hallways and stairs, barely able to breathe.
Multiple limp children were seen being given oxygen after they were carried out. Evacuees had faces covered in soot.
More details on Tuesday’s Borneo Bulletin