Brunei Darussalam yesterday recorded 108 new COVID-19 cases and three new clusters.
The developments were shared by Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar during a press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) yesterday.
Permanent Secretary at the MoH Haji Maswadi bin Haji Mohsin was also present.
The minister said, “Of the 108 new cases, 107 were local transmissions while one was an imported case. This brings the tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases to 4,431.
“With three new clusters detected, the number of active clusters is 76. Cluster 2034 contains nine new cases, Cluster 4321 contains seven new cases and Freshco Batu Satu Cluster has eight. The new clusters include cases that have been previously reported as cases for which the source of infection has not been identified.”
Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said there are 21 additional new cases to 10 of the existing active clusters. The cases in these active clusters were individuals being quarantined and were found to be in contact with several confirmed cases.
The imported case arrived in the Sultanate from Manila, the Philippines on September 1 on board Royal Brunei flight BI 684.
Meanwhile, he revealed that 62 cases are being investigated to determine the sources of the infection. Contact tracing for the new cases is underway. Identified close contacts are required to undergo mandatory quarantine and RT-PCR SARS-CoV-2 test.
On recovered patients, the minister said, “102 cases have recovered, including 21 positive cases from Category 1 that underwent self-isolation for 14 days at their home. They took their second swab tests on Day 12 and were confirmed recovered. This brings the total number of recovered cases in Brunei Darussalam to 2,856, while the total number of active cases stands at 1,548.”
“Among the active cases, 11 are in critical condition, with 10 requiring assistance of artificial ventilation.
“Meanwhile, one case requires the help of an additional heart/lung machine (ECMO) and 28 categorised in Category 4 have been admitted to the intensive care unit for close monitoring.”
In the past 24 hours, 4,083 samples have been tested for the SARS-CoV-2, bringing the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 282,346.
Before concluding the press conference, Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said, “Let us together be responsible and play our part in curbing the spread of COVID-19, and pray to Allah the Almighty that Brunei Darussalam is protected from diseases, especially COVID-19.”
For information and updates, visit www.moh.gov.bn or check the BruHealth app. Inquiries on COVID-19 can be directed to the Health Advice Line at 148, Darussalam line at 123, Brunei Red Crescent (BRC) Helpdesk Line or e-mail email@example.com.