SYDNEY (dpa) – A woman in northern Australia had a rude awakening when a snake slithered into her bed and sank its fangs into her, it was reported Sunday.
Eileen Whitely was asleep in her home near Darwin when she woke to a sharp pain in her leg.
“I flew out of that bed and jumped backed against the wardrobe. I looked and moved the sheet a little thinking ‘What the hell was that?’” she told the Northern Territory News.
“And then, I saw the end of the snake slithering past and I screamed. It was still in the friggin’ bed.”
She woke her partner Lee Evans who threw a sheet over the 1.5 metre snake and dumped it in an empty garbage bin. He then took a photo of it.
The 61-year-old grandmother then went and made a cup of tea. It was then she noticed the blood on her left knee.
“The (bloody) thing bit me!” she told the newspaper. “It’s lucky I don’t drink. If he had have had scotch around, I’d have skulled the bottle.”
She went to hospital where the snake was identified from the photo as a non-poisonous python.
Whitely says she is now sleeping in another room.
“It was my worst nightmare and it happened,” she said. “It’s horrifying. But it proves I’ve got a strong heart – and I can move quicker than I thought.”