HANOI (Bernama) – The Agung volcano in Bali resort island of Indonesia spew an ash column of 2,500m to the sky in its latest eruption on Thursday, Vietnam News Agency (VNA) reported.
Local authorities said the high-risk area was six km from the crater, a reduction of the previous warning of 10km last week.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, Head of Data, Information and Public Relation of the Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management, warned that although the danger zone was reduced, geological activities inside the volcano remained strong.
More than 50,000 people in 12 high-risk localities are still staying in safe shelters while the I Gusti Ngurah Rai international airport has been operating as usual since ashes from the volcano have only affected some areas to the north and northeast, he said.
After 50 years, Agung volcano resumed its activities in November 2017, making local authorities raise the alert status to the highest level. The I Gusti Ngurah Rai airport had to close for three days due to the volcano while another airport on nearby Lombok island also halted its operation for a while.