MOSCOW (AP) – A Ukrainian official says Kiev won’t pull back its troops until the previously agreed cease-fire is implemented.
The cease-fire that was declared September 5 has been repeatedly violated.
Negotiators in Ukrainian peace talks agreed Saturday to create a buffer zone between government troops and pro-Russian militants by halting their advances and pulling back heavy weapons in order to ensure a stable truce in eastern Ukraine. More than 3,000 people have died in the conflict that has been raging since mid-April.
Andriy Lysenko, a spokesman for the National Security and Defense Council, told reporters in Kiev on Sunday that the government “is not talking about” implementing the agreements until the complete cease-fire is achieved. He said rebels fired at government positions in the vicinity of 22 towns or villages on Saturday.