KOTA KINABALU (Bernama) – The police have not ruled out possible link between the two suspects shot in Penampang Baru last week and the Royal Sulu Force (RSF).
Sabah Commissioner of Police Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman yesterday said the matter was discussed with the Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCom) and investigations found the two men, one of them believed to be the leader of one of the groups linked to the RSF, were also involved in other criminal activities in Sabah, including robbery and kidnapping.
“There are many groups (linked to the RSF) in Sabah and southern Philippines. The number is still under investigation,” he said after attending the Sabah Police Contingent monthly assembly here.
He said the suspects had targeted several places to rob in Sabah as a means to finance and strengthen their criminal activities with the Sulu militant group.
With regards to RSF recruiters in the state, he said, that was also being investigated.
Meanwhile, on the kidnap cases reported in Kunak and Pulau Mabul, Jalaluddin said the police were still continuing with efforts to bring the victims home and were working closely with the Philippine security force.
On June 16, caged-fish breeder Chan Sai Chiun, 32 was abducted in Kampung Sapang Air, Kunak, after a group of armed men stormed his house in the late night incident.
Then on July 12, marine police Constable Zakiah Aliep, 26, was kidnapped during an ambush by a group of armed men at a resort in Pulau Mabul, Semporna, at 11.10pm in which his fellow marine police Corporal Rajah Jamuan, 32, was killed.
Jalaluddin also announced the curfew at six districts in Sabah’s east coast – Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak and Tawau – would be extended to Nov 7 to 22.
“The daily 7pm to 5am curfew is still needed in the east coast of Sabah to curb cross-border crimes and ensure the safety of the people and tourists there,” he said.