| Aziz Idris |
A RECITATION of Surah Yaasiin and Tahlil for Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien and Al-Marhumah Duli Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Damit, in conjunction with the 44th anniversary commemorating the renaming of Brunei Town to Bandar Seri Begawan, was yesterday held at the Royal Mausoleum.
Present at the ceremony were Minister of Home Affairs Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Haji Awang Badaruddin bin Pengarah Dato Paduka Haji Awang Othman and Deputy Minister of Home Affairs Pehin Datu Lailaraja Major General (Rtd) Dato Paduka Seri Hj Awg Halbi bin Hj Mohd Yussof.
Also in attendance were National Council members, permanent secretaries, deputy permanent secretaries, heads of department, senior officers from departments under the Ministry of Home Affairs, personnel from Bandar Seri Begawan Municipal Department, as well as Mukim penghulus and village heads from all four districts.
The ceremony commenced with the recitation of Surah Al-Fatihah led by Hj Azrol Alim bin Haji Zaini from the Mosque Affairs Office of Kg Pintu Malim. This was followed by the recitation of Surah Yaasiin and Tahlil.
The ceremony holds national significance ias it recognises the contributions of a well-loved monarch and Walil Amri, who is also known as the ‘Architect of Modern Brunei.’
Bandar Seri Begawan has seen various developments that include profile buildings such as the Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Mosque built in 1957 and Jame’ ‘Asr Hassanil Bolkiah built in 1998.
In 2007, the capital was expanded from 1,287 hectares (12.87 square kilometres) to 10,036.24 hectares (100.36 square kilometres).
Bandar Seri Begawan includes public infrastructures and facilities as well as leisure parks to be enjoyed by citizens.