SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A man fatally shot three people Friday and was found dead with a suicide note in the second deadly shooting in three days, prompting South Korean police to announce plans to tighten regulations on gun ownership.
Gun possession is tightly controlled in South Korea, with only one civilian murder with a firearm reported last year. But hunting weapons, like a shotgun in Friday’s killing spree, are allowed.
The victims included a policeman, who was one of the first officers to respond, according to police in Hwaseong city, near Seoul. The 75-year-old suspect is believed to be the brother of an 86-year-old victim, whose wife was also dead, police said.
The suspect was found with gunshot wounds in his chest and near his right armpit in what the police believed to be a suicide.
The daughter-in-law of the dead couple managed to escape by jumping from a second-floor window before alerting the police, and is currently being treated for a minor back injury.
All four were found in the first-floor living room and a shotgun was near the suspect, Hwaseong police chief Lee Seok-kwon said in a televised briefing.