| Azlan Othman |
SMALL-sized enterprises, proprietorship-type enterprises and wholesale and retail trade-type economic activities made up most of the business enterprises in the Sultanate, the Department of Economic Planning and Development (JPKE) Economic Census (EC) of Business Enterprises has revealed.
The Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam through the Department of Economic Planning and Development (JPKE) conducted the Economic Census 2011 from January 1 to 31, 2012.
A follow-up was conducted between February 1 to the end of 2012 to ensure that EC 2011 achieved the required level of quality, in terms of full coverage as well as accuracy and completeness of information needed.
This census covered all businesses registered in this country – proprietorship, partnership, public limited company, private limited company, branch of a foreign company or cooperative. The EC 2011 requested data for the reference year 2010.
The main objective of the census was to collect complete and up-to-date information relating to economic activities undertaken by businesses in this country in order to measure the current levels of economic activity and changes in the structure of the commercial and industrial sectors at the national level.
JPKE last year released the preliminary report of the EC 2011, which contains data on enterprises, employment and revenue. The final report of the EC 2011 is the second publication in the two series of census reports released in stages.
It presents the final results of the EC 2011 that was conducted in January 2012 and updated using data from the follow-up work that was conducted until October 2012. This report contains more comprehensive information on enterprises, employment and revenue.
Among others, the findings showed that 6,758 enterprises were reported as being active in Brunei in 2010. This breaks down to 3,623 small-size enterprises (65.1%), 1,804 medium-size enterprises (32.4%) and 139 big-size enterprise (2.5%).
In terms of type of organisation of the enterprises, proprietorships dominated with 3,427 enterprises (61.6%), followed by private limited companies with 1,377 enterprises (24.7%), partnership with 620 enterprises (11.1%), and other types of organisation with 142 enterprises (2.6%).
The largest type of economic activity in Brunei is wholesale and retail trade with 1,907 enterprises (34.3%), followed by manufacturing activity with 695 enterprises (12.5%) and construction activities with 691 enterprises (12.4%).
In the employment category for 2010, a total of 99,607 workers were with the private sector, comprising 68,688 male and 30,919 female workers.
In terms of residential status, locals accounted for 42,518 workers (42.7%), and the remaining 57,089 workers (57.3%) were non-locals.
Wholesale and retail trade was the biggest employer with 22,750 (22.8%), followed by construction activities with 22,719 workers (22.8%) and professional, technical, administrative and support services activities with 11,234 workers (11.3%).
The total revenue generated from business activities in 2010 amounted to $29.2 billion. The highest revenue was contributed by mining and quarrying activities with $12.6 billion (43.1%), followed by manufacturing at $6.5 billion (22.2%), and wholesale and retail trade at $4.6 billion (15.8%).
Members of the public keen on enquiring about the BE 2011 final report can refer to JPKE by contacting 2230251 during working hours, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by logging on to www.depd.gov.bn.