LOS ANGELES (AFP) – Robert Allenby (photo) says he is still trying to recover from injuries suffered in a brutal attack in Honolulu and doesn’t know when he will return to the golf course.
The Australian golfer says he was beaten and robbed after being kidnapped from a wine bar on Friday night near Waikiki.
“Medically, I thankfully didn’t suffer anything major beyond some bumps and bruises that will take a bit of time to heal,” Allenby said on Sunday.
The 43-year-old from Melbourne plans to travel to the US mainland from Hawaii and then see how he feels before making a decision about whether or not to try and play in next week’s PGA Tour event near Palm Springs, California.
“My plan currently is to fly back to the mainland and at that point, evaluate my ability to play next week at the Humana Challenge,” he said. “Whatever the outcome regarding my ability to play next week, I anticipate a successful rest of the 2014-15 PGA Tour season.”
Allenby said he is working with Hawaii law enforcement to try and piece together the events of Friday and catch the people who attacked him.
He also thanked Hawaii tournament officials and the PGA Tour for their assistance. He is also grateful for the support from friends and golf fans who expressed their concern over his condition.
“I’d like to thank the local authorities, Sony Open and PGA Tour officials and others that have assisted me throughout this unfortunate ordeal. I’d also like to thank the many people that have reached out with their well-wishes,” he said.
The PGA Tour has declined to comment on the matter. Honolulu police are investigating but so far no one has been arrested.
Allenby, who suffered bruises and cuts to his face, said he has no memory of the attack. But officials believe from talking to witnesses that he was dropped off in a park about 10 kilometers (six miles) from where he was taken following a night out after missing the cut at the Sony Open in Honolulu.