KOTA KINABALU (Bernama) – The dusk-to-dawn curfew imposed in the Sabah east coast in July and extended every two weeks has been extended yet again, to Jan 9, 2015.
Sabah Police commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said yesterday the latest extension of the 7pm to 5am curfew in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone) was from today (Christmas Day) to Jan 9 next year.
He said the curfew had been extended to ensure the security and well-being of fishermen, tourists and other people who used the waters off the coast of six districts, namely Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau.
“It was also aimed at facilitating monitoring and curbing cross-border trafficking of people, drugs and firearms,” he said in a statement.
The curfew was imposed on July 19 following several cases of kidnapping of local people and tourists by foreign intruders who had come by sea.
Jalaluddin said the extension of the curfew had the support of chalet operators and fishermen.