KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama) – Concerned with the fate of the flood victims in the Peninsular Malaysia’s east coast region, Proton Holdings Bhd has embarked on initiatives to support the affected families post-deluge.
Under the Proton Flood Relief Mission to the East Coast, the company helped in the massive clean-up of public places and houses of the poor and the elderly, while serving affected communities in dire need of humanitarian assistance.
“We are saddened by the hardships caused by the floods in the East Coast as many were forced to flee from their homes unexpectedly when the floods hit the region last month with brutal force,” Proton Chief Executive Officer Datuk Abdul Harith Abdullah said in a statement here today.
During the two-day flood relief operation which started on Jan 1, the team assisted 61 families in Kg Sakar Sungai in Pasir Mas, Kelantan before extending it to 205 other families in Terengganu, particularly in Kemaman.
Assistance was also provided to Proton’s employees affected by the deluge, Abdul Harith said.
Apart from the houses, the relief mission comprising 45 employess based at its headquaters in Subang Jaya, Selangor as well as the Kota Baharu and Kuala Terengganu branches also targeted several surau and community halls damaged by the flood.
“We hope our assistance will ease the burden of impacted families and communities particularly those who need financial aid for their children who will soon start their new school term.
“Proton would like to reassure them that we are on hand to help them as far as possible, in addition to earlier announced parts discount and free labour charges for the repairs to their Proton cars,” said Abdul Harith.
Proton also contributed canned food, biscuits, toiletries, mineral water, blankets, disposable diapers, sanitary pads and disposable underwear to the victims.