SAO PAULO (AP) – Brazilian great Pele says he is not seriously ill, easing fears Thursday that his health deteriorated even though a hospital said he was in intensive care and undergoing renal support treatment.
The 74-year-old Pele used his official Twitter account to deny widespread reports that said his condition worsened and that he was put in intensive care to treat a urinary tract infection.
“I want to take this opportunity to let you know that I am doing fine,” he said. “I was not put into intensive care today, I was simply relocated to a special room within the hospital for privacy purposes only.”
Pele had an operation to remove kidney stones on Nov 13, but he was readmitted to the hospital on Monday after being diagnosed with the infection. The three-time World Cup winner has remained in the hospital since.
Pele’s manager had already said that the former player was expected to make a “quick and full” recovery from the “minor” infection.