JERLUN (NST) – The mother of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 passenger is turning down the US$50,000 (RM174,485) compensation from the national carrier until the authorities discover the body of her 31-year-old daughter Chew Kar Moi.
Tan Tuan Lay, 53, from Kerpan here said the family had not given up on hopes of the recovery of the victims although it had been nine months since the ill-fated aircraft went missing while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.
Tan said she would only accept the compensation offered by the company once they found her daughter’s body.
“I feel very uneasy to accept it now. It is not about the money but my daughter’s life. Money can’t buy her life.” she said.
She confirmed receiving a call from a MAS official several days ago to discuss the compensation payment but Tan said she had turned it down pending the recovery of her daughter remains.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai had said on Thursday that most of the victim’s families refused to accept the compensation offered by MAS.
He said the families were clinging on to hope that their loved ones on board the aircraft were still alive and would return to them.
Liow added that the government, together with the Australia and China governments would continue to conduct search-and-recovery operations which had entered the deep sea search phase.
Tan explained that she was worried the search mission would be called off should she accept the compensation.
“I do not want that to happen. I am following the latest developments on the search mission.
“I hope the authorities will recover the bodies if the fate of MH370 was sealed in the Indian Ocean as it will help us to have a closure on the tragedy.”
Kar Mooi, a Maybank employee, was among the 239 people on board the jetliner, which went missing after departing from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Beijing on March 8.