KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama) – The Malaysian police are taking precautionary measures and strengthening national security following the militant-style attacks that took place in France and Australia.
The Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Datuk Seri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said although there had been no such threat in Malaysia, police were still taking measures to monitor the activities of certain groups and individuals in the country.
“We have intensified our monitoring and further strengthened our intelligence network to ensure that we are aware of every movement made by the suspected groups and individuals,” he told reporters, yesterday.
He disclosed this when asked to comment on measures taken by the police following the incident on Wednesday when three armed individuals wearing masks opened fire at the Charlie Hebdo office in Paris, France which left 12 people dead and another three seriously injured.
The incident was described by French President Francois Hollande as a ‘terrorist attack’.
In Sydney, Australia, two hostages and an Iran-born armed man were killed after Australian police raided a cafe to end the more than 16-hour siege by a suspect who held 17 people as hostages on Dec 15.
The Malaysian police had taken measures in curbing militant activities, especially the so-called IS militant group, in this country by detaining 51 Malaysian nationals, so far, who tried to join or help the militant group in Syria and Iraq.