HANOI (dpa) – An amateur magician swallowed acid by apparent mistake on Vietnamese television, sparking widespread criticism Wednesday.
The contestant on the popular show Vietnam’s Got Talent poured water into three glasses and sulphuric acid into one other, asked a member of the audience to mix them, and drank from one of them.
He apparently chose poorly and was admitted to hospital with mild burns after drinking from the acid-filled cup.
“Such a programme is not talent, it’s just silly,” Deputy Minister of Information and Communication Truong Minh Tuan told dpa.
Tuan and others said the stunt should not be shown on television.
Two of the show’s jurors complained to broadcaster VTV saying they believe the performer made the error deliberately to attract attention.
A VTV spokesperson conceded it was partly to blame, but did not elaborate, Tuoi Tre newspaper reported.