THE people of Brunei should consider themselves blessed to have lasting peace and stability, said His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzadd...Read more
DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH BORNEO BULLETIN ARCHIVES
|Compiled by Lance Thoo Sin Lin|
Don’t leave you pants by the window
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (February 1, 1975) – “Don’t leave your pants hanging near a window” is the advice currently being handed out by the police here.
Particularly if there’s money in the pockets.
A Bandar Seri Begawan resident did that the other night, and lost $70 as a result.
The man had hung up his pants on Sunday night and then retired to his sitting room for a quiet read of his newspapers.
When he went back to the room, he found a cheeky thief had made a successful pants raid. The $70 had been stolen from the pocket.
The police believe the thief either climbed through the window to do his stealing or used a fishing rod to hook the trousers.
Ban on wearing balaclavas
February 2, 1985 – Brunei police have outlawed balaclava helmets and ski masks following an upsurge in crimes involving hooded raiders.
And water taxi operators, fishermen and labourers will feel the effects of the ban.
Many use the headwear to protect themselves from the wind and sun.
“This is one of the sacrifices they will have to make if they do this type of work,” a police spokesman said. “People must not wear any type of hood or mask in public.”
The ban was announced earlier this week. The police spokesman said there have been cases of hooded or masked raiders breaking into houses.
“Householders who have discovered these people have been unable to identify them,” he added.
Tiger Shark ashore
FEBRUARY 15, 1995 – A gigantic 17-foot-long Tiger Shark was washed ashore at Taman Rekreasi Berakas close to the capital on Monday (February 13). The colourful fish, popularly known here as “Yu Harimau”, was first spotted by Awang Hj Wahab Hj Marsal and Mohd Yusrin Kassim who work at the park. They told the Bulletin that earlier on Sunday, the giant fish was alive but unable to return to the water. By Monday night, it was dead.
Public calls for proper relocation of food stalls
February 28, 2005 – Members of the public held high praise for the relevant agencies for their integrated efforts in dismantling illegal stalls in an operation conducted in Mukim Pengkalan Batu last Saturday night.
However, upon hearing and witnessing the demolition process through the national radio and television channels, some observers said they were hoping for the operation to be conducted nationwide and not just in one or two places.
“The stall operators nationwide must be given ample warning through the national television and the mass media that the authorities will dismantle the illegal stalls by a certain date if they continue to exist,” they said.
“Failure to do so may force the relevant authorities to take action,” they said, adding that legal action should be taken against the operators so as to prevent illegal stalls from continuing to sprout everywhere.
However, they also called for commercial alternatives to be given to the illegal stall operators for them to conduct legitimate business.
“They need help to conduct business and we should make things easier for them, not harder,” they said. – Rosli Abidin Yahya
© 2013 Borneo Bulletin Online - The Independent Newspaper in Brunei Darussalam, Sabah and Sarawak