| Hakim Hayat | PEHIN Datu Lailaraja Major General (Rtd) Dato Paduka Seri Haji Awang Halbi bin Haji Mohd Yussof, the Minister of C...Read more
DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH BORNEO BULLETIN ARCHIVES
|Compiled by Lance Thoo Sin Lin|
Brunei TV chief off on hunt for staff
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (December 7, 1974) – Brunei is casting a wide recruitment net in its bid to find the best people for the colour television service to be introduced in March 1975.
Controller of Radio and Television, Mr James Miller, flew out recently on an important mission taking him to Singapore and Hong Kong.
There was a dual purpose in his trip.
He was trying to find staff to man the local service – and he also intended studying the television facilities provided in both places.
Brunei has already advertised for recruits in Singapore and Hong Kong, and Mr Miller planned to meet and interview likely applicants during his visit.
Mr Miller intended meeting top representatives of the television services there.
In Hong Kong, he also planned to have talks with a view to possibly arranging training facilities for Brunei technicians.
The state has just set up one such training scheme with Radio Television Singapore.
“During our initial stages of operation we shall be using a number of seconded people from the BBC in the UK, as well as borrowing expertise from Singapore. But our ultimate goal is to train Brunei citizens to take over the service,” said Mr Miller.
The advertising campaign for staff, which is being carried out locally as well as overseas, seeks people to fill a variety of posts such as producers, news editors, senior cameramen and film laboratory supervisors. – Alan Solley
More doubts on bridges as another collapses
MIRI (December 22, 1984) – Doubts have been raised about the safety of some Sarawak bridges following the collapse of another bridge in the state.
The collapse, which happened at Kilometre 22 Miri-Bintulu Road, follows a similar incident between Bintulu and Sibu in June.
The latest incident happened earlier this month as a heavily-laden Public Works Department lorry crossed the bridge at about noon.
Part of the bridge fell away but the lorry was able to get across safely. Nobody was hurt.
Long queues developed on both sides of the bridge, which was closed for three hours while emergency repairs were carried out.
It led to renewed calls for checks on all bridges between Miri and Sibu to prevent a repeat of the incident.
Doubts first surfaced in June when a 30-metre new bridge collapsed at Kilometre 80, Oya Road, as a lorry carrying logs rumbled over it. The trailer plunged into the river but the lorry stayed on the road and again nobody was hurt.
The bridge was closed for a day stranding hundreds of motorists.
Sabah to dump ‘Wild East’ image
KUALA LUMPUR (December 30, 1994) – Sabah’s newly appointed Chief Minister, Mohamad Salleh Said, pledged to rid Malaysia’s north Borneo state of its money-and-timber politics image, and to get the economy moving.
“The image of money-and-timber politics should be discarded to convince the people of the government’s desire to bring changes,” Salleh was quoted as saying by the national Bernama agency.
Sabah state, rich in oil and timber, has been labelled Malaysia’s ‘Wild East’ due to its free-wheeling politics.
Slow business at wet markets
DECEMBER 24, 2004 – Business in several wet markets are experiencing a downturn after continuous warnings and updates by the Fisheries Department regarding the red tide phenomenon.
Fishmongers are in a quandary as the number of customers visiting wet markets is declining. One of the places affected is the popular Gadong wet market, where a number of vacant fish stalls were spotted. Other stalls that were open only sold limited types of fish, with many opting to sell only big fishes.
But despite warnings by the Fisheries Department not to sell small fishes and shellfish, several stalls were still spotted selling these items. A fishmonger claimed that the fishes he sold could still be eaten as long as the gills, stomach and internal organs of the fishers were removed and thoroughly cleaned before consumption. He added that the small fishes he was selling were caught from unaffected areas in Brunei waters.
Some fishmongers said that they have been conducting business at a loss since news of the red tide was announced.
Another fishmonger said since he could only sell big fishes, he was unable to offer customers a wider choice and this was cutting into his profits.
To counter this loss and attract customers, several fishmongers have opted to sell their fishes at a lower price. But even then, some consumers still remained sceptical and they have had to shut their stall down temporarily.
Before the red tide, business was more stable, but after the news was announced, business had slowed down considerably because some consumers were under the impression that all types of fishes were unsafe to be consumed, said a fishmonger.
Another enterprising fishmonger had taken to selling shellfish, namely ‘tembayangan’, which he claimed to be imported from Kuala Lumpur.
A fishmonger also claimed that representatives from the Fisheries Department were conducting daily inspections at the Gadong wet market, as well as the Fish Landing Complex in Muara to take samples of the fishes.
Apart from the fishes caught in Brunei waters, fishes sold in the market also include imported ones particularly from Kota Kinabalu, Miri, Kudat and several other neighbouring countries. Fishmongers are hoping to attract more customers as the imported fishes are safe for consumption. – Zalia Zaini
© 2013 Borneo Bulletin Online - The Independent Newspaper in Brunei Darussalam, Sabah and Sarawak