| James Kon | IN LINE with the recently-launched strategic plan of the Ministry of Primary Resources and Tourism (MPRT), the... ...Read more
DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH BORNEO BULLETIN ARCHIVES
|Compiled by Lance Thoo Sin Lin|
‘No foundation to rumours’
MIRI (October 19, 1974) – A Divisional Medical Office spokesman said there was no foundation to the rumours that some babies born at the general hospital here had died from jaundice.
It is learnt that two babies had died after contracting jaundice which, the spokesman said, was prevalent among newborn infants. But, he added, a recent increase in the mortality rate at the hospital seemed to have started the rumours.
He said it was normal for infants to be affected by jaundice. However, with proper medical care, they usually recovered. – Henry Chen
Gas blast hits hotel
KOTA KINABALU (October 20, 1984) – Sleeping guests were rudely woken and rushed from their hotel as it rocked under the impact of an explosion last week.
The blast occurred in the Orchard Coffee Shop below the Sea View Hotel, Jalan Pantai, at 10.30pm Tuesday night and it is believed to have been caused by a leaking gas cylinder used for cooking.
Nobody was injured – the shop was closed at the time.
The impact of the blast ripped off the back door of the restaurant and badly damaged its iron security screen.
A small fire broke out but the Sea View manager put it out with an extinguisher before the fire brigade arrived.
Damage was estimated at about $5,000.
Coffee shop owner Mr Chin Man Luk called from his home about an hour after the explosion, said: “It’s lucky the shop was empty. I closed at 9 o’clock and all my staff left an hour later.”
This accident was the second Kota Kinabalu hotel explosion in a month. On September 12, six people were injured in a gas cylinder blast at the Shangri La Hotel and four of them later died in hospital from their burns.
Brunei wipes out malaria
OCTOBER 27, 1994 – Brunei Darussalam has achieved a malaria-free status thanks to the continued vigilance operations in the country, it was announced yesterday.
According to an official report released yesterday by the Ministry of Health, the malaria vigilance operations in 1993 continued to provide protection to the entire population of Brunei, which was estimated at 276,300.
The report also revealed that 21 cases of malaria (all imported) were discovered during the period under review.
A total of 60,340 blood slides were collected from all sources of case detections.
These detection activities comprised of the following components: (1) Mass blood survey of inhabitants living in interior and vulnerable areas; (2) Blood screening of foreign workers as a pre-requisite in securing their work permits; (3) Passive case detection in hospital and clinics; (4) Epidemiological surveys; and, (5) Cross checking of 15 per cent of all negative smears. The report also stated that residual DDT spraying in out-laying villages in the interior and vulnerable border areas continued to be carried out during the reporting period.
Malaria vigilance in the country will continue to be carried for an indefinite period to secure the malaria-free status in the country.
Health authorities in the country are fully aware of the consequences if malaria vigilance is let down, it added.
OCTOBER 4, 2004 – A competition to find Brunei’s Strongest Man, held to commemorate the renaming of Bandar Brunei to Bandar Seri Begawan, saw some heavyweights trying to show off their muscle power yesterday at the Taman Haji Sir Muda Omar Ali Saifuddien.
The competition involved lifting a car, lifting and rolling a giant tyre and carrying heavy concrete blocks.
Heavy grunts filled the air as the contestants gave their muscles a workout – Huraizah Ahmad
© 2013 Borneo Bulletin Online - The Independent Newspaper in Brunei Darussalam, Sabah and Sarawak