IPOH (Bernama) – The Sessions Court has set five days, from Jan 12 next year to hear former Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin’s slander case against Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
Mohammad Nizar, 57, who is also Perak PAS deputy commissioner allegedly slandered the prime minister while addressing the public at Taman Desa Pakatan here on April 23, 2012 between 9pm and midnight.
In the proceedings yesterday, deputy public prosecutor (DPP) Masri Mohd Daud told judge Madihah Harullah that the prosecution had not received the notice of preliminary objections from the defence. To this, lead counsel Datuk Yusof Mohd Zainal Abidin told the court that there had been a miscommunication between the two sides and that the defence had not decided whether to file any objections.
“Should we decide to, we will inform the court at least one or two weeks prior to the trial,” he said.
Mohammad Nizar was represented by 13 lawyers, while Masri who is also Perak prosecution unit chief was assisted by DPP Fadhli Ab Wahab. The charge under Section 500 of the Penal Code, carries a maximum jail term of two years or a fine, or both, upon conviction.