KUALA TERENGGANU (NST) – Two hypermarkets (NST pic below) situated near Gong Badak and Batu Enam have complied with the instruction from the state government to close their premises for two hours during the Friday prayer.
Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman announced the instruction during the State Assembley that was held at Wisma Darul Iman last month.
Ahmad Razif said the instruction about the matter was to be implemented starting on January 2015.
A check by NST at the mall near Kampung Batu Enam, here, showed that the premise was closed at 12.30pm. However, several workers were straying nearby the place and waiting for the premises to open at 2.30pm. Worker Khairul Amri Zainal, 20, said he was not made aware about the instruction from the state government until the announcement was made by the management at about 12noon stating that they will be closed for business between 12.30pm to 2.30pm.
Khairul Amri said it was good as the Muslim worker managed to perform the Friday prayer even though they are working. Another worker Kamal Haris Marzuki, 20, said many customers were surprised with the announcement but they later left the premises.
“This is a good instruction and showed that the government is very concern of the Muslim’s obligation to perform the Friday prayer,” he said when met at the premise.