Amsterdam (dpa) – Experts have recovered more remains of victims at the Malaysia Airlines crash site, the Dutch government said late Friday, three and a half months after the Boeing 777 went down over the skies of eastern Ukraine.
The remains will be examined by forensic experts in the Ukrainian city Kharkiv before being flown to the Netherlands, where most of the victims came from.
All 298 passengers and crew were killed when MH17 went down on July 17 over rebel-held territory in Ukraine while en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. So far, the remains of 289 have been identified.
Access to the site has been limited by ongoing fighting between government troops and pro-Russian separatists.
Dutch and Ukrainian teams took advantage of a lull in hostilities to visit the scene on Friday.
A preliminary report released in September said that the jet broke up in the air, probably after being hit “by a large number of high-energy objects”.