MANY kids naturally prefer sweet and salty foods over sour or bitter ones, like green vegetables. Researchers call this neophobia (fear of new foods), which reaches its peak between the ages of two and six years.
This explains why children in this stage of development often go on food jags in which they will eat only one or two foods that they like. But this is also a time when crucial growth and development take place in children’s body and mind.
If kids lack proper nutrition due to picky eating habits, various problems may surface, including short stature, delayed puberty, poor bone health, poor immunity, dental cavities, anaemia, increased risk of injuries and poor academic performance.
Here are some easy tips to help your child takes in the nutrients he needs.
- Give him choices – If green veggies turn him off, offer him orange or red ones instead. If he doesn’t like eating vegetables that are stir-fry, incorporate them into his sandwich. Be creative.
- Offer snacks that are naturally sweet – Limit snacks that are high in sugar and fat content, like cakes, sweets, pre-packed juices, ice-creams, biscuits and chocolates. Instead, offer those that are naturally sweet yet packed with nutrients, like low-fat yogurt, fruits, frozen bananas or grapes, and apple slices with peanut butter. There are also some naturally sweet vegetables like sweet potatoes, pumpkins and corn which you can serve as snacks.
- Give him a quality, comprehensive multivitamin – A daily multivitamin can be good nutrition insurance against missing out on important nutrients. It can also minimise stress and worry for parents who are combating their kid’s picky eating. Nevertheless, not all multivitamins in the market are equally made, so be sure to read the labels before you buy.
One good daily multivitamin for kids is the Nature’s Way Kids Smart Vita Gummies Multi Plus Vegies – a comprehensive multivitamin that provides all the essential vitamins plus dietary fibre needed for kid’s healthy growth.
Every single gummy contains eight essential vitamins – namely vitamin A, B3, B6, B12, C, D, E, and biotin; plus five types of vegetables – carrot, tomato, spinach, beetroot and artichoke to meet kids’ daily antioxidant, mineral and fibre needs.
Benefits of Nature’s Way Kids Smart Vita Gummies Multi Plus Vegies:
- Promotes strong immunity
- Supports healthy eyesight, bones, teeth and skin
- Provides fibre to maintain bowel health
- Ensures adequate daily nutritional intake for kids, especially picky eaters
The product is available at all Guardian Pharmacy outlets and ISC nationwide. Contact PDB Gemilang Sdn Bhd for further information.