Phnom Penh (dpa) – A faulty fireworks blast that killed one man during a coronation anniversary event for the Cambodian king last week was described by the country’s defence minister as “not a big deal’, it was reported on Monday.
The victim, a 23-year-old university student, was nearly cut in half by the force of the explosion and died on the spot on the night of October 29.
Several other people were injured, two of them seriously, when the canister ignited prematurely, sending shrapnel into the crowd of bystanders.
“The incident was not a big deal,” General Tea Banh said Sunday, The Cambodia Daily reported. “It was an unexpected incident.”
More fireworks displays are planned for the Water Festival, which begins on Wednesday, but General Banh said they would be set off from boats instead.