| Abdul Hakiim Yakof |
A FIRE broke out at the Immigration and National Registration Department building Saturday evening, but the blaze was quickly controlled, preventing major loss of government property.
The blaze was sparked by an overheated ballast in the fluorescent lighting in the passport filing room located at the ground floor of the building.
Details of damages to documents, if any, are not known, but a purported WhatsApp image of the incident circulated in social media showed charred documents in a room.
A team of fire fighters and four fire engines from the Berakas Fire Station and Women’s Operation Unit were dispatched to the scene after receiving an emergency call.
In just five minutes, the fire was controlled. The Royal Brunei Police Force was also alerted about the incident at 10pm.
According to an official from the Immigration and National Registration Department, the registration and collection operations of passports will run normally but have been temporarily moved to make way for repair works.