KOTA BAHARU (Bernama) – The Kelantan State Education Department has identified 31 schools affected by the flood in the state.
Its director, Hussain Awang said the department was currently assessing the total losses incurred by schools involved.
“The flood has not completely subsided yet and we are still waiting for the water to subside in all the schools to determine the number of equipment and fixtures which were damaged.
“It is understood that none of the schools have suffered serious damage and on the whole we do not expect any major losses,” he said when contacted by Bernama yesterday.
Hussain said his department would ensure that the new school term which was scheduled to begin on Jan 4 would run smoothly if floods had subsided by then.
“We will ensure that schooling will begin according to schedule and damaged facilities will be replaced as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, Kelantan Department of National Unity and Integration director Safidah Abu Samah said two out of 20 unity kindergartens affected by the floods incurred heavy losses.
She informed that both of them were located in Kuala Krai and that a report had been sent to the department’s headquarters for immediate action.
Safidah said her department had taken early measures by relocating equipment in the classes before the school holidays.
“We know that every year during the monsoon period several places will be flooded and we took early measures by shifting equipment such as cupboards, computers and fridges to higher places,” she said.