DPMM FC slip to another league defeat

|     Fadhil Yunus     |


DPMM FC endured a 2-0 defeat to Geylang International FC on a miserable evening in the Great Eastern-Hyundai S League at Bedok Stadium in Singapore last night.

The visitors, who now have lost five in their last six matches, face the possibility of trailing the title-chasing clubs by 13 points should Albirex Niigata (S) resume business with a victory over Balestier Khalsa.

The visitors had a decent chance to seize the initiative in the eighth minute as Najib Tarif broke free and squared the ball into the box but there was no DPMM FC player to make the opportunity count.

The hosts put their noses in front after DPMM FC’s defence failed to deal with Victor Coto’s cross, allowing Shahfiq Ghani to fire home from close range in the 13th minute.

DPMM FC almost levelled the score but Rafael Ramazotti had his goal chalked off for offside in the 24th minute.

Najip Tarif (left) vies for the ball with Geylang International’s Ricardo Sendra
Najip Tarif (left) vies for the ball with Geylang International’s Ricardo Sendra

DPMM FC goalkeeper Wardun Yussof, making his first start since being replaced by Alizanda Sitom against Hougang United recently, then prevented the homesters from doublinf their lead by palming away Shahfiq’s 25-yard free-kick.

DPMM FC forward Billy Mehmet came close to the equaliser minutes later but was denied his third goal of the season by Geylang goalkeeper Syazwan Buhari.

The match was put to bed when the Eagles were awarded a penalty after Yura Indera Putera brought down Shahfiq.

Coto stepped up and sent Wardun the wrong way.

DPMM FC responded immediately by piling on the pressure but the hosts rose equally to the challenge.

The home side had Anders Eric Aplin to thank after rescuing his side with a vital block to deny Ramazotti who had been set up by Azwan Ali.

Azwan Ali then tried his luck with a dipping shot but Syazwan did well to tip the ball to safety.

The Eagles swapped places with Tampines Rovers FC, climbing to fourth while DPMM FC remained in eighth.