| Siti Hajar |
THE Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), Ministry of Communications, last night confirmed the departure of AirAsia A320 Flight No AXM9981 (Aircraft Registration 9M-AQA) that skidded off the runway at the Brunei International Airport (BIA) on July 7, 2014.
According to the DCA, the AirAsia aircraft took off at 2043 hours on November 19 from Bandar Seri Begawan to Kota Kinabalu.
The DCA added that the aircraft had met the documentations requirement at the time of application to carry out the ferry flight.
“We always put safety and security issues as top priority and will not tolerate any infringement,” the DCA said, adding that they thanked the public for their concern, cooperation and understanding for not making any speculations on the incident.
Meanwhile, AirAsia in a statement said the aircraft which was involved in the July 7 incident at BIA had been brought back to Malaysia on November 19.
“The aircraft with registration 9M-AQA is an aircraft owned by AirAsia Berhad, and it has undergone thorough inspection process, and has been cleared to resume operations,” AirAsia said, adding that it had ensured that all regulatory requirements had been complied with to bring the aircraft home.
“Proper documentation was obtained from the Department of Civil Aviation Brunei prior to the release of this aircraft and the flight had departed from Bandar Seri Begawan in accordance with an approved flight plan by Air Traffic Control of Brunei International Airport,” it added.
The incident at BIA in July had consequently resulted in a three-day shutdown of Brunei’s airport with hundreds of passengers stranded in several destinations and a number of flights rerouted to nearby airports.