KUALA LUMPUR (dpa) – The world number one badminton player Lee Chong Wei is to sue a former shuttler for defamation over an allegation he has been using banned substances for a long time, reports said Tuesday.
Lee, who was suspended by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) last month after failing a dope test at the World Championships in Copenhagen in August, reportedly said his lawyers have sent a legal notice to former Malaysian national badminton player Razif Sidek.
The case stemmed from an interview given by Razif to a Malay-language daily Kosmo on November 11, in which he said officials of the Badminton Association of Malaysia were aware that Lee has been taking banned substances for some time but kept silent due to his strong performances.
“My lawyer sent him a letter a few days ago and we will settle this matter in court,” the Malay Mail online quoted the 32-year-old Lee as saying. “He (Razif) had called me to apologise after receiving the letter, but what’s done is done.”
“I can’t let this go because he defamed me,” he added. “As a former shuttler, I’m sure he knew better than to make false allegations against me – especially during these trying times. He has hurt not only me, but the entire country with his comments.”
Lee, a silver medallist in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and 2012 London Olympics, did not say when the case will be filed in court.
The Star online newspaper quoted Lee as saying that Kosmo will also be included in the defamation suit.
The world badminton body was set to hear the doping case of Lee later in the month. He could face up to a two-year ban.