| Azaraimy HH |
IN THE risk-prone operations of the oil and gas industry, the achievement by Total E&P Borneo BV and its contractors in recording zero Loss Time Injury (LTI) over 15 years is remarkable.
To put things into perspective, in places like the United Kingdom for instance, the industry may have 10 or 15 LTI, thus to go 15 years without LTI is very difficult to achieve and undoubtedly a noteworthy accomplishment.
Total E&P Borneo BV General Manager Yves Grosjean noted that within those 15 years, they had operated millions of man-hours in several operation sites, drilling campaigns, repair and modification operations, oil platform operations, logistical operations – including the use of helicopters – and other kinds of operation.
To achieve zero LTI, where there is no loss in operation time due to injury and where all men and women come home safe, is a remarkable achievement in an industry that is considered hazardous and risky.
He added, this zero LTI is owed not just to the staff of Total E&P Borneo BV, but also personnel of the contractors.
“In fact, 80 per cent of the hours were from contractors, and the remaining 20 per cent were from the employees of Total E&P Borneo BV. Therefore, the contractors contributed significantly to this achievement,” he said.
In celebrating the achievement, an event was yesterday held at Tarindak d’Polo at the Royal Brunei Polo and Riding Club, seeing PetroleumBrunei Managing Director Dato Paduka Haji Matsatejo bin Sokiaw as guest of honour.
Dato Paduka Haji Matsatejo congratulated the employees of Total E&P Borneo BV and contractors for the excellent record, adding that the achievement was owed to their personal endeavour in operating under good health and safety standards.
HSE Manager Michael Dale credited the excellent record to great commitment and transparency between the workforce, management and contractors.
In Brunei, under the Workplace Safety and Health Order, all oil operators are required to prepare and submit safety cases to the authority – the Energy Department at the Prime Minister’s Office (EDPMO). The purpose of the safety cases is to document or demonstrate that the oil operator is managing its major accidents or incidents correctly, in order to prove that they are managing the risks effectively.
“We are very proud here in Brunei because we are the first oil operator to get both onshore facility safety case approved and also offshore safety case, and we have two offshore platforms,” Michael Dale said.
Total E&P Borneo BV received its Safety Case Certificate at the event.
Michael Dale later expanded on Loss Time Injury, explaining, if someone gets injured at work, an injury so serious that he cannot return to work immediately, this will cause a Loss Time Injury. There are many types of injuries.
For example, if someone gets a light injury but can return to work, it will not cause a Loss Time Injury, he said, highlighting that achieving zero LTI in this industry is no easy feat.
To maintain such a strong LTI record, in a nutshell – it is an interplay of a good system approach, design approach and cultural approach.
“When we design or upgrade our installation, we will also do risk assessments at that stage to ensure the facility is safe, and as they become older, we will do asset integrity and maintenance to ensure they remain safe,” he said.
In a systems level, strong rules and procedures as well as policies are all important and such things like onsite auditing and checking/inspection are all part of the system that can deliver excellent safety records.
“But none of that will work if the culture is not there. If the people don’t believe in the system, then it is never going to work,” Michael Dale said.