MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — A Bahraini court on Thursday found 11 Shiites guilty of involvement in a deadly bomb attack targeting police last year and sentenced three of them to death, according to a defense lawyer involved in the case.
The case centred on a bomb attack that left three police officers dead on March 3, 2014, as they were dispersing “rioters and vandals” on the outskirts of the capital Manama, according to authorities. One of those killed was a police officer from the nearby United Arab Emirates who was deployed to help bolster security in the tiny island kingdom. The eight defendants who escaped the death penalty were sentenced to life imprisonment and will have their citizenship stripped, said defense attorney Mohammed al-Tajir. He said he will appeal the verdict.
Young protesters frequently clash with riot police in street skirmishes, and hard-line activists have occasionally deployed roadside bombs. Several prominent opposition leaders and rights activists remain behind bars.
Among them is Ali Salman, the leader of al-Wefaq, the country’s largest Shiite opposition group. He was arrested in December and denies allegations of incitement to forcibly topple the government. A court on Wednesday postponed his trial until March 25.