MANILA (AFP) – Philippine President Benigno Aquino approved Thursday a 160-billion-peso ($3.6 billion) plan to rebuild areas ravaged by Super Typhoon Haiyan one year after the disaster, his spokesman said.
The plan includes reconstruction timetables demanded by Aquino who last week criticised the pace of rebuilding, Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said.
Haiyan, the strongest storm ever to make landfall, packed winds of 315 kilometres (195 miles) per hour when it slammed the central Philippines in November last year, bringing tsunami-like storm surges that wiped out entire villages and left more than 7,350 people dead or missing.
“The work programmes, all the details have been inputted into the detailed rehabilitation plan,” Lacierda told reporters.
An initial 52 billion pesos of the total rehabilitation budget had been released by the budget department, he added.
Aquino earlier this month said he wanted the rehabilitation programme “substantially completed” by the time his term ends in mid-2016, as ten of thousands of typhoon survivors remain without homes and vital infrastructure.