KABUL (AFP) – Afghan security forces on Saturday fought back against a major Taleban offensive in the east of the country after the militants killed up to 100 security personnel and civilians, beheading 12 of them, officials said.
This summer’s fighting season has seen worsening violence with the Taleban gaining ground in several provinces as US-led NATO troops withdraw and the government in Kabul deadlocked over disputed election results.
A series of coordinated attacks in the last week have focused on Ajristan district in the strategically important province of Ghazni, after recent offensives in Kandahar, Helmand and Logar.
“Afghan soldiers, police and commandoes have launched clean-up operations against the insurgents in Ajristan,” Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, deputy governor of Ghazni province, told AFP.
“The Taleban insurgents were holed up, using civilian houses as shelters. They were driven out and are being beaten back,” Ahmadi said.