HULU TERENGGANU (Bernama) – Twenty-six people who had been stranded on Gunung Gagau in Kuala Berang since last week was reported to be safe.
According to Hulu Terengganu Fire Station chief Mohd Zamri Omar, all of the victims, comprising personnel of Survey and Mapping Department and eight General Operation Force members, were reported to be stranded at a location about 40km from Base Camp Aring 5.
Right now, he said the search and rescue squad was trying to take the victims out via land route after the rescue operation using a helicopter was hampered by bad weather.
“The victims are now stranded with no food, but no casualties were reported so far,” he told Bernama through WhatsApp yesterday.
Meanwhile, Terengganu Fire and Rescue Department liaison officer Rozizah Abni Hajar, said the victims entered the mountain using a helicopter last week, but failed to find their way to the nearest base camp due to bad weather.
“We received a report about their condition on Sunday and the rescue squad of 15 people was deployed early today (Monday),” she said.