KUALA TERENGGANU (Bernama) – About 17,000 families (65,000 people) who were flood victims in Terengganu last month will receive compassionate payment of RM1,000 per family beginning this Sunday.
Out of the RM1,000, RM500 is contributed by the National Security Council while the other RM500 comes from the state government.
Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman said the state government had just received the full official list of the flood-affected families and hoped the aid could help lessen their financial burden in rebuilding their lives after the disaster.
“The state executive council at our weekly meeting today also agreed to pay aid arrears to 1,500 families in Dungun who were flood victims in 2013 but their names were not in the list,” he told reporters, here, yesterday.
Out the 17,000 affected families in last month’s floods, five families lost their homes while another 408 houses were damaged.
Ahmad Razif said those who lost their homes would get new ones with the construction cost at RM40,000 to RM48,000 per house, with the rebuilding projects to be supervised by the respective elected representatives.
“The 408 damaged houses will be repaired by the Public Works Department at a cost of RM5,000 to RM10,000 per house, with the involvement of various parties including students from Kolej Giat Mara or the Industrial Training Institute, “ he said.